Re: Creating a "software speakerphone" in ALSA

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008, Jim Higson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't have a landline so I talk a lot on Skype using my USB headset. This
> is great, but sometimes I want to put it on speaker, like when I'm on hold
> at my bank for a long time.
>
> I don't need to switch the mic, just the speakers. Then I can put my headset
> down for a while and get on with something more useful than standing near
> my computer listening to hold music.
>
> So, what I really want is an ALSA output device that defaults to my headset
> but I can switch on the fly to my speakers and back again without
> disrupting the call. Can it be done?
>
> For info, my speakers are fed by a normal PCI soundcard (an Audigy) through
> a hifi amplifier. The headset is a fairly generic USB model. I'm on Ubuntu
> Hardy.

Not sure what your system is. YOu do not tell us. Many soundcards have only
one output-- the line out. Thus you can uplub the headphoens and pub in
speakers. But if that is not your situation, you might want to tell us. For
example your computer might be a laptop with an internal PC speaker On some
there is a hardware switch inside which kills the pc speaker when the
headphones are plugged in. Thus uplugging the headphones would do what you
wanted.