Re: Audigy (not Audigy2) recording level much too low

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 12:38:46PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> It is a levels problem.
> Mic captures at 24bits.
> The DSP handles 24bits fine.
> When the sound is passed from the DSP to the CPU only the top 16bits of
> the 24bit value are passed. This accounts for the low capture levels.
> The "snd_ac97_write_cache(emu->ac97, AC97_REC_GAIN, 0x0f0f);" reduces
> the analogue capture headroom so is not ideal.
> I think a better fix would be to add DSP code to adjust the 24bit value
> into 16bits.
> The current 24bit to 16bit conversion introduces about 48 dB loss.

Yes, I read the similar explaining almost one and half year ago. It's very
likely, that exactly you wrote to me at that time. My current point is:
when nobody's going to make it "better way", perhaps could be possible
to apply that "worse fix", which - actually - immediately makes the living
of Audigy owner a bit easier?

It seems to me, that it doesn't really make much sense "to do nothing at
all - because (perhaps) one day we'll make it better". It can be fixed
instantly by inserting this just one line - and then, some day, it can be
improved further. What's the problem?
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski