stereo channels always act as mono

I've search for this, but I have not found an answer.  Both channels (left and right) appear to be mixed and sent to both speakers.  When I run speaker-test, it believes I only have 1 speaker: "speaker-test -s 1" puts the sound on both speakers, "speaker-test -s 2" returns "Invalid parameter for -s option".

I'm running version 1.0.16 on Debian Lenny, the sound card is ess solo-1 (es1938 )

Any thoughts?

Eric