Re: Realtek High Definition Audio and Fedora 9

Update below.

On Friday 21 November 2008 16:14, Nigel Henry wrote:

> Hi Graeme.
>
> Ok. So far so good.
>
> I've just seen the same errors above, while Googling on that Mitac (unknown
> device) 8227, that shows up on lspci for your soundcard. Will you run the
> command below.
> grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
>
> You should see 2 codecs. ALC883 (The correct one for the snd-hda-intel
> module), and also ALC268, which appears to be something to do with this
> Mitac 8227 component on the card.
>
> The fix on the Ubuntu forum (french), was to patch the alsa driver, but the
> instructions are for Ubuntu Hardy Heron, and that has alsa driver 1.0.16,
> which is the same as the installed driver on F9, before you upgraded it.
> Link to the frech Ubuntu forum below.
> http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/audio_intel_hda
>
> Now it may be that the model=medion option is the wrong one, and I see from
> the very sparce specs for your machine on the Medion site, that your card
> provides 6 channels plus digital out. It's possible that the alsa
> development folks have already applied a patch on the 1.0.18a driver that
> you now have, but it's just the model option which is wrong.
>
> Would you try the following one.
> options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-6ch-dig
>
> The same forum page for the fix above shows that as an option for the
> Medion MD96367, where both ALC883, and ALC268 codecs are detected. It's not
> your model, but worth a try.
>
> If that produces no changes in Alsamixer, we may have to ask the Alsa dev
> folks. It's possible that the 1.0.18a driver has had the necessary patch
> applied since 1.0.18a was released, and there are nightly snapshots of the
> driver available, which include the latest patches.
>
> Anyway. Try the above model option first.

> Nigel

I can't find my weekly brochure from the Aldi for your laptop, but it seems to
have been available from Mar 20 2008, which is way back. On Ubuntuforums,
some guy named RenZo has provided a patch to resolve the problem, but this
was back in May 3rd 2008, link below.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=747054&page=3

Bear in mind that the patch would be for alsadriver 1.0.16 on Ubuntu Hardy.

I'm not suggesting using RenZo's patched module, as I'd have thought that by
now the alsa developers would have also patched the driver, but RenZo does
say to use. options snd-hda-intel model=mitac

Worth a try, and if it doesn't work we pester the Alsa developers for a patch.

Nigel.