Re: ALSA and JavaSound

Java allows for multiple sound cards to be used. If I install multiple
sound cards I can in Java Sound select which one I want to use for input
and output. Java Sound on Linux does also allow for sound cards with
multiple inputs and outputs. I have a M-Audio Delta 1010LT installed
with 8 analog inputs and 8 analog outputs. The problem is that ALSA and
JavaSound only allow me to open one DataLine, but this one DataLine can
have up to, I think ,10 input channels and 12 output channels (besides
the analog inputs and outputs there are digital inputs and outputs).
What I however would like would be to have 8 separate mono devices
instead of one multichannel device. On the Java Sound Resources page one
of the administrators writes that a multichannel sound card can be spilt
using the ALSA configuration files. I tried to ask how this could be
done, but no one answered.
My tests with a single stereo sound card showed that ALSA on Linux
performs better than DirectSound on Windows.