Re: ALSA and JavaSound

The "poor performance" is because its a software mixer, not because
it's Java.  It totally sucks compared with hardware mixing, but I'd be
very surprised if an ALSA software mixer gave any different performance.

I have to profess ignorance about exactly what AOSS does.  All I know
is that with it, Java behaves well, and without it Java behaves badly
(on some hardware, at least).

My understanding of things, which could be grossly inaccurate, is that
aoss is a compatibility layer that translates OSS calls into their
ALSA equivalents.

-Joshua

On Nov 17, 2008, at 12:44 PM, Lars Schnoor wrote:

> Hi Joshua
> Thank you for your reply, but I tried Javas software mixer and it
> gives
> me extremely poor performance. I am working on an voice application
> and
> the latency of Javas software mixer is just unbearable. Wouldn't
> starting Java with aoss cause it to use OSS instead of ALSA, is that
> really what I want?
>
> Lars
>
> Joshua Smith wrote:
>> For the most compatibility, I would recommend that you tell Java to
>> use its own software headspace mixer:
>>
>>        Mixer.Info [] mixerInfo = AudioSystem.getMixerInfo();
>>        Mixer.Info useMixer = null;
>>        for (int i=0;i<mixerInfo.length;++i)
>>            if (mixerInfo[i].getName().startsWith("Java Sound"))
>>                useMixer = mixerInfo[i];
>>
>> The latency sucks, but it is quite reliable cross-platform.
>>
>> Then, in Linux, make sure you use "aoss" to launch Java.
>>
>> -Joshua
>>
>> On Nov 17, 2008, at 3:51 AM, Lars Schnoor wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone
>>> I am using JavaSound on Linux where it as a default uses ALSA. I
>>> tried
>>> to figure out how to configure ALSA with respect to JavaSound, but
>>> couldn't find anything. I read that ALSA can, if the sound card
>>> hardware
>>> does not support it, do mixing in software. How can I configure
>>> ALSA for
>>> this and it would also be great if someone could tell me how to
>>> split a
>>> multi-channel sound card into separate mono or stereo devices in
>>> JavaSound.
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Lars

>>> challenge
>>> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
>>> great prizes
>>> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
>>> the
>>> world