Aspire One - snd-aloop

Hi all,
   I'm trying to setup my Aspire One so I can record what's playing on
the sound card.
   I've got pretty far (it works), but I'm looking for some help to
tidy up the process for novices...
   (At the moment I need to reboot every time I switch between the
internal sound card and snd-aloop).

   To record audio currently, I set snd-aloop to be the default sound
card by making it load as card 0
by setting "options snd-aloop index=0" in
/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist and rebooting.

  Then, to make sound come out the speakers, I use a pipe to send data
from snd-aloop to the sound card
$ arecord -D hw:0,1 -f cd | aplay -D hw:1 -f cd

   and if I want to record anything, I stop that and restart it but
intercept the data with a tee...
$ arecord -D hw:0,1 -f cd | tee myrecording | aplay -D hw:1 -f cd

   Then when I'm done, recording, I set snd-aloop's index back to 1
and reboot (which causes the sound card to load as the default driver
again).

   So, I've figured most of this out, so it probably utterly the wrong
way to do this (is there something I can put in .asoundrc to avoid
having to reboot?) - any help configuring this properly now I know
it's possible to listen and record at the same time is much
appreciated.

   Thanks in advance,
      -Duncan.