Sound issues on HP TouchSmart IQ816

Hello, I'm trying to get sound to work reliably on an HP TouchSmart
IQ816.  Here are the particulars:

Linux 2.6.24.3 (SLAX, derived from Slackware)
Alsa 1.0.18
lspci: 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD
Audio Controller (rev 04)
Controller: AD1984B
Booting with irqpoll, because without it, video drivers do not work

Symptom 1: No sound out the speakers, but line-out works
Workaround: Using model=mobile or model=laptop, sound comes out the
speaker but not the line-out (I can live with this, but I'd be happy
to work with the developers to find a solution where both speakers AND
line-out work)

Symptom 2: Message in the log telling me to set bdl_pos_adj
Workaround:  Using bdl_pos_adj=32 the message went away

Symptom 3: Network stops working after a little while
Workaround: Using enable_msi=1 seems to have resolved this (which is
odd, because everything I read on the web made me think that
"disable_msi=1" would solve it)

Symptom 4: The first audio file I play sounds great, but by the second
or third thing I play, the sound gets a lot of high-frequency noise in
it, making it sound "tinny" like an over-driven 1-inch speaker.

Once this condition starts, unloading/reloading the snd_hda_intel
module does not fix the problem.  However, the problem does
spontaneously go away sometimes, and then spontaneously comes back.  I
can quite reliably reproduce the problem using a Java program to
create the sound, but I cannot reproduce it using aplay.  (Although if
the sound becomes tinny after playing a couple sounds from java, then
aplay will be tinny as well).

My best guess is that this is really caused by the OSS compatibility
modules.  If I rig my Java program to use ALSA for audio instead of
the "Java Sound" mixer (which seems to rely on OSS), the problem does
not occur.  However, if I just modprobe -r away all the OSS modules,
then some Java APIs stop working because they only work with OSS.

I'm going to see how hard it would be to rework our application to
never use the Java APIs that use OSS, but if there is a better
solution I'd love to hear it!

Thanks.

-Joshua