Re: Trying to capture mixed output with arecord

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Eduardo Garc�wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Since days ago I'm trying to capture into a wav file the sounds that my
> soundcard was playing in that moment, in other words "what u hear",
> tried several programs but I have ended trying arecord, but no success,
> not sure that if I'm doing it right.
>
> My soundcard is an Esi Juli@ [ICE1724], and when I try an "arecord
> test.wav" I only get a 44 Bytes "test.wav" file.
>
> If I try an "arecord -f dat -D hw:0,0 test.wav" I get the following,
> arecord: set_params:918: Sample format non available
>
> I also tested a lot of other settings but most of them returned an:
> arecord: main:564: audio open error: No such file or directory
>
> So any clues on how I can grab what I hear into a wav file?

The envy chips are funny, they always capture something like 10
channels, and you need to reduce it to 2 if you want to save
to a common 2-channel file.  "plughw" can do this, so try,

  arecord -f dat -D plughw:0 test.wav

Also, "aplay -l" to make sure you are targetting the right device.

-Jamie