Playing audio out via modem TAD port

Hi all,
	This is a problem that has been bugging me for the past month, no
amount of searching the web, fiddling with mixer settings, or poking DAC
devices listed in `aplay -l` seems to have come up with any answer.
First, some background.

	My desktop computer has a Ensoniq ENS1371 sound card installed
(Creative Vibra128 actually).  I have no modem, however, I do have a HF
amateur radio transceiver, that I'd like to connect to the TAD port.  It
seems logical -- the set only needs a single mono input and output, and
this would free up the line-in/line-out for other tasks.

	I can use the line-in/line-out ports, and this works great... but I see
no reason why I should waste a stereo input and output on a mono device.
  Plus it means I can't use the sound card for other tasks.

	All I want to achieve is to route sound from whatever application (e.g.
something like Ekiga, or maybe JACK), out to the HF radio.

	For now, a set of amplified speakers is plugged into the TAD output.
TAD Input works fine, just the output needs to be debugged.
I'm using the ALSA drivers that are distributed in the kernel:

> stuartl@beast ~ $ uname -a
> Linux beast 2.6.26-hardened-r2 #4 SMP Sun Sep 21 10:14:30 EST 2008 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

*What I've observed:*
Firstly -- Two DAC devices are listed:  Allegedly this is for software
MIDI synthesis.  The output of `aplay -l`:

> stuartl@beast ~ $ aplay -l
> card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 0: ES1371/1 [ES1371 DAC2/ADC]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 1: ES1371/2 [ES1371 DAC1]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Playing to either device, seems to yield sound from my main speakers
only, not a peep out of TAD.

In searching, I managed to find the OSS driver for this card (es1371.c),
which states:
> 1205 /*
> 1206  * AC97 Mixer Register to Connections mapping of the Concert 97 board
> 1207  *
> 1208  * AC97_MASTER_VOL_STEREO   Line Out
> 1209  * AC97_MASTER_VOL_MONO     TAD Output
> 1210  * AC97_PCBEEP_VOL          none
> 1211  * AC97_PHONE_VOL           TAD Input (mono)
> 1212  * AC97_MIC_VOL             MIC Input (mono)
> 1213  * AC97_LINEIN_VOL          Line Input (stereo)
> 1214  * AC97_CD_VOL              CD Input (stereo)
> 1215  * AC97_VIDEO_VOL           none
> 1216  * AC97_AUX_VOL             Aux Input (stereo)
> 1217  * AC97_PCMOUT_VOL          Wave Output (stereo)
> 1218  */
	-- http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/sound/oss/es1371.c

Master Mono eh?  I try unmuting it and turning it up full blast.  No
dice, the speakers on the TAD output remain stubbornly silent.

Other settings I've tried fiddling with:
	* PCM out switch (pre and post 3D positions)
	* Mic select (Mic1 and Mic2 positions)
	* adjusting levels and muting of Phone channel
	* IEC958 on/off
	* Mono Out (Mic and Mix)
	* External Amplifier on/off

	I'm not sure what else to try.  I'm pretty sure everything is correctly
wired.  I'm just using the 3.5mm plugs on the front of my case
temporarily until I get everything worked out -- then I'll think about
drilling a couple of holes and mounting a few headphone sockets at the back.

	Does anyone have any idea how I can get this TAD port talking?  Is
there something I'm missing?

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)      .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :

I haven't lost my mind...
   ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.