hda-intel sound suddenly no longer working.

I'm using an Intel DG33FBC motherboard.  I've been using an Audigy 4 SE
card for main sound (and Skype ringers) and the hda-intel sound for the
headset, for making calls with Skype.  As of kernel 2.6.25.x and
2.6.26.x, I had no problems getting sound in and out on the front-panel
jacks for hda-intel.  I've upgraded to 2.6.27.2, and suddenly all the
settings I was using previously no longer apply.

After a lot of messing around, I've got headset sound working in
6-channel mode with the microphone out unmuted and the "Surround"
channel cranked up.  But no matter what I do, I can't seem to record
sound at all.  I've spent a lot of time switching input sources and
muting and unmuting and changing levels on different channels, but no
go.  I've also tried switching models around with the model=parameter,
but there are quite a lot of them, and this could take approximately
forever.

IIRC, before the upgrade to 2.26.27.2, dmesg showed the ALSA driver
unsure as to what to do with the HDA sound, and reverting to defaults,
or something like that.  Now, no errors.  Just:

HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: setting latency timer to 64

The specific codec is a Realtek ALC888.  So far, the only changes have
come on the hda_intel front.  The previous Audigy levels still apply and
work fine.  I've tried erasing the original asound.state and letting the
initscripts (Gentoo Linux) recreate it.  This works fine for the Audigy,
but not the Intel sound.

I'd appreciate any help.