Digital drop outs with multiple cards and receivers

Hello All,
I have an SB Live 5.1 pci card that plays analog out fine and has
digital coax out too. I hooked up the digital to my computer speakers
which take digital in and it plays normal sound but get random 1
second drop outs of audio pretty frequently. I tried hooking it up to
a different digital receiver but got the exact same results. If I
replay the same file it does not drop out in the same places either.
So then I tried using my on board c-media CMI8738 sound card which has
digital out too. Again analog out on it works fine but I get the exact
same drop out problem with the digital coax on that card too, with
both receivers too. So now I know its not the receiver, and I know
it's not specific to the card because both did it. So I'm thinking it
must be a problem with my alsa settings... is the sampling rate off?
Is it some kind of buffering issue? I skimmed through the asound.state
file to see if there was anything in there I could easily tweak, but I
didn't know what to/not to touch. Is this something I might need to
tweak with amixer? Any ides would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Nick