No sound from headphone jack under Linux

I have an onboard Intel 8280lg ICH7 soundcard with Realtec ALC883 chipset.
The headphones work under Windows. With Linux I am using the snd_hda_intel
module. I get normal sound through the speakers but none through the headphones.
Alsamixer recognizes the card and chipset and the headphones are shown unmuted.
All other functions are unmuted and are at maximum level. I run Slackware linux with kernel 2.6.24.5. My Alsa version is 1.0.15. I tried to install a more
recent version (1.0.18rc3) but got no sound at all.

I know this is a common complaint, but so far I have not found
a solution which works for me.

Can anyone help?

--
Roger Young <r.young@xxxxxxxxxx>