82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller not working

I am on an HP Pavilion dv7 running Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) kernel 2.6.27-4-generic x86_64

I hear my soundcard play the quick drum beats on the Ubuntu login screen, but it starts playing them REALLY loud and longer then usual, then progressively steps down in volume about every 5 seconds until all I hear from then on is a continuous very low beat in the background that never stops.

I grabbed a wav file off the internet and tried to run it and got:
# aplay -v familyguy1.wav
aplay: test_wavefile:782: can't play WAVE-file format 0x0055 which is not PCM or FLOAT encoded

my alsa-info.sh output is here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a1fbc9d12fc8ac3ec787a285fde0d56a7035f974

I see a similar problem here, but I'm already on 1.0.17 and it still does not work:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=200808130030.16058.LuHe%40gmx.at

Would trying the snd_hda_intel "model" option help?  If so, what do I pick?

Thanks,
Steve Maring

Even with no sound at the moment.  I think removing Vista off this thing was the right thing to do.  I lived with it for a week ... and it was a VERY long and painful week.