Re: Sound fades away on Fujitsu ST5112

Hi all,

> With the ALSA drivers v. 1.0.17, the codec is recognized as a
> SigmaTel STAC9228 (vendor ID 0x83847616) and I do get proper mixer/
> playback/capture devices. The problem is that the playback output,
> while being audible immediately after loading the driver, fades away
> in around 20-30 seconds, to the point where nothing is heard any
> more. Nothing happens automatically in alsamixer, and it seems that
> no amount of fiddling can take it back. Only removing and reloading
> the card driver makes the sound come momentarily back; then it fades
> away again.

More details:

- I have found a previous thread about a closely related problem: http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2007-November/003817.html
  , but it seems to me that the changes, if they were merged into
mainline ALSA, do not help me;

- no success at all with v. 1.0.14;

- with v. 1.0.15 the sound fades away in the same way, but – lo and
behold! – acting on the Master Volume control in alsamixer restores it
properly. For example, if, say, 20 seconds have passed and the sound
is barely audible, one touch of the down arrow brings the volume to
98% instantly. Then it starts fading away again, and one touch up,
after any short or long amount of time, brings it to 100%. And so on,
ad lib.

- with v. 1.0.16, I get the same thing as with 1.0.17: the sound fades
away and it can NOT be restored from the mixer.

Maybe this can give a hint to someone. It gives me a possible
solution, i.e. install an old kernel, install v. 1.0.15 and write a
daemon that reads the current master volume setting and pokes it back
every second. Candidate for the Ugliest Workaround Ever(TM), sure, but
it could work.

Cheers,

--
Emanuele