Routing sound to two sound cards

I've been googling a bit for how to output the same sound on two sound
cards, and have found some bits, but I just can't get it to work with my
setup.

I have two sound cards; one RME9652, and one built-in VIA thing.  The
RME is connected to the stereo via S/PDIF, and the VIA thing is
connected to a wireless transmitter.

This is the RME setup from .asoundrc:

pcm.rme9652 {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm hw:0;
  }
  route_policy copy
  ttable.0.16 1
  ttable.1.17 1
}

16/17 are the S/PDIF outputs.

The VIA setup is much simpler:

pcm.via {
  type hw;
  card 1;
}

Both work perfectly when using mpg123 with -a rme9652 or via.

So I tried with this multi setup:

pcm.multi {
  type multi;
  slaves.a.pcm rme9652;
  slaves.a.channels 26;
  slaves.b.pcm via;
  slaves.b.channels 2;
  bindings.0.slave a;
  bindings.0.channel 0;
  bindings.1.slave a;
  bindings.1.channel 1;
  bindings.2.slave b;
  bindings.2.channel 0;
  bindings.3.slave b;
  bindings.3.channel 1;
}

pcm.ttable {
  type route;
  slave.pcm "multi";
  ttable.0.0 1;
  ttable.1.1 1;
  ttable.0.2 1;
  ttable.1.3 1;
}

That is, I create a multi device with four channels, and then I create a
routing device that has two inputs that outputs to the four inputs from
the multi device.

When trying to play anything, I get this:

----------------
[larsi@rocket-sam ~]$ /usr/local/src/mpg123-0.61/src/mpg123 -a ttable /music/repository/Arto\ Lindsay/Prize/01-Ondina.mp3
High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layers 1, 2 and 3
        version 0.61; written and copyright by Michael Hipp and others
        free software (LGPL/GPL) without any warranty but with best wishes

Directory: /music/repository/Arto Lindsay/Prize/
Playing MPEG stream 1 of 1: 01-Ondina.mp3 ...
MPEG 1.0 layer III, 256 kbits/s, 44100 Hz joint-stereo
[audio.c:264] error: No supported rate found!

I've tried other combinations of setups, and I'm able to create a multi
device over the VIA device, and I'm able to create a multi device over
the RME device, but then I don't get any sound output whatsoever.

Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?

  larsi@xxxxxxxx * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen