Need SPDIF out asound.conf for CMI8768

Hi folks,

I’m new to the list and relatively new to Linux.  I’ve been everywhere and I can’t get a straight (or working) answer for something that is about to drive me nuts!

I’m running the newest version of Knoppmyth.  I’m using a Diamond XtremeSound 7.1 card that has the CMI8768 chipset.  I can get the SPDIF out working for any program that will allow me to specifically direct the sound to the IEC port.  However, I cannot get the sound to work on programs that do not have this capability and run off of the DEFAULT.  Obviously, I’ve got something hosed with my asound.conf.  I just can’t figure out what!!  HELP!!  I’ve been working on this for weeks.

The aplay –l command gives me that the IEC958 port is on card 0 device 2.  Can someone give me a config that they have working on their machine?  I’ve got this question floating around in about 3 forums now, so I thought I’d go straight to the source.

Many thanks in advance,

Eric