Erik Jokobsen, VIA chipset

TO: Erik Jakobsen

Send smaller files with just the information needed.
Please do not send entire dumps of all modules and devices on your system.
Your last email repeated my email around 5 times, with all your comments
interspersed, which makes for a very long tedious read.

You need to send that information, without my email contents, to the
alsa-user site,
where, just maybe, a developer familiar with your mixer will see it and
reply.
Keep it small, no extraneous lines about your USB, IDE, or other devices as
you do not want them
to lost halfway through it.

I just happen to also have VIA chipset with VT8237R.
    VIA 8237R,  ==  HD codec
    VIA VT1617A   ==  Eight-TRAC ==   AC'97 codec
    RealTec audio AC'97 codec

Notice that my mixer is a VIA VT1617A, but the board also has a RealTec chip
that does
not show up anywhere in the audio info from lspci, nor from alsa.

For instance, a dump from sndstat on my machine is as follows.  Take notice
of where your
sndstat differs, and report that kind of information in your email to
alsa-user

<<sndstat>>
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.17 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux ProjectResin_G 2.4.31.W10 #8 Wed Oct 17 00:15:01 CDT 2007 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
VIA 8237 with VIA1617A at 0xeb00, irq 22

Audio devices:
0: VIA 8237 (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers:
0: VIA Technologies VIA1617A

<<end sndstat>>

I could not get sound to work using ALSA 1.0.9, nor 1.0.16,
not until I downloaded ALSA 1.0.17 and compiled it separately.  !!!!!!
I downloaded 1.0.17 because I had seen something that said they had fixed a
mixer problem for VIA mixers, but I do not know now where I saw that.

If you choose to compile ALSA from source, then you will need
  alsa-lib-1.0.17
  alsa-driver-1.0.17
  alsa-utils-1.0.17  -- probably need alsaconfig program
  alsa-tools-1.0.17  -- maybe
  alsa-oss-1.0.17   -- maybe

To provide more consise, to the point, information

cat /proc/modules | grep snd > my_modules
cat /proc/asound/modules > my_asound_modules

cat /proc/asound/cards > my_cards

Because you seem to be using OSS mixer modules.

cat /proc/asound/oss/sndstat > my_sndstat

Wesley Johnson,  Linux user since 1994

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---