Re: ALSA vs M-Audio fast track ULTRA

James Shatto ha scritto:

>>Hello everyone! I now resigned to not being able to use
>>the m-audio fast track ULTRA usb soundcard with my "LINUX-DAWs",
>>someone can recommend another card usb I can afford
>>multitrack audio recordings of quality, which is working with Linux?
>>

>As said before, my M-Audio Mobile Pre seems class compliant.  And otherwise works.  My Delta 44 (pci) works too.  The Delta worked for several months before they finally came up with Windows Vista drivers.  But it doesn't sound like you want another M-Audio.  So probably the Lexicon Omega / Alpha type cards might work for you.  What type of inputs are you needing?  And how many inputs?  TRS / XLR / 3.5mm stereo?  There's several out there depending on your needs.  What's your budget?
>
>If you need a lot more inputs at higher rates, then firewire might be better suited.
>
>freebob.sf.net
>
>HTH,
>- James

Ciao! Thank you all!
I need to make multitrack recordings; I' m looking for a sound card
usb2  model
of  at least 4/6/8 balanced inputs, XLR with phantom power to 48V and
audio resolution 24-bit/96kHz
and with many analog audio outputs maybe XLR balanced, SPDIF in / out
and MIDI in / out / trough.
  The budget is relatively important,
I procured a m-audio card because I was informed and
on several occasions was indicated that any model based m-audio would not
have created class compliant difficulties, unfortunately my supplier did
not big chance and I have other ways to obtain others devices.
But because of my bad English but I still do not understand:
There is no way to run the fast-track ultra-linux?
This is a time problem, I need to wait until a new driver or firmware?
The fast-track ultra-is throwing in the trash because it will not work
ever with Linux?

Excuse me, a 'other demand: because if I try to compile the driver alsa
get this error message:

    The file /include/linux/version.h does not exist.
    Please install the package with full kernel sources for your
distribution
    or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
    sources (default is /usr/src/linux).

What does this mean?
What should I do?
My uname -a output is:
Linux ubuntustudio 2.6.24-21-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Mon Aug 25 19:24:40
UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux.
Thank you and sorry my insistence.
Ciao
gabriele