ALSA on Linux 2.4

I have sent a number of postings about problems installing ALSA.
(I have gone 10 months without sound, etc. etc. )

For those have not noticed, I am talking about an ALSA install on a system
that
does not have ALSA as the default sound driver.  That is why I can reinstall
it after doing a kernel compile and install.

Anything you do on a kernel that has ALSA as the default drivers, such as
Linux 2.6,  is not applicable
to this situation.

I have been trying to install ALSA 1.0.9, 1.0.16, and 1.0.17, on a Linux
2.4.31 system, where
the default drivers are something unidentifiable (they do not identify
themselves so I cannot tell
if they are ALSA, OSS, or what).   Because ALSA is a separate package
outside the kernel,
when the kernel installs its modules, it wipes the modules directory clean,
including wiping
out all the ALSA driver modules !!

This is a business machine, and it will not be switching to Linux 2.6 until
needed.
I am especially not comforable with HAL, which judging by their changelogs
and forums,
is not being written to the same standards as the rest of Linux.  They talk
about adding delays to
fix timing problems with other tasks.  They refused a developer request to
keep device identification info around after sending a closing notification
(which prompts programs to deal with the device closing, thus the desktop
cannot identify what actually closed ).
They claim, by some philosophy, that the last thing done must be the closing
notification, and that the device info must be destroyed before it
to prevent any possible access to stale data.   This is not good dynamic
information systems design, nor good real-time programming practice.
Currently, HAL is something that I do not want on my business machine, and
it seems to come with Linux 2.6.
I am staying with Linux 2.4.31

I would hope that the ALSA developers do not disregard us that have to stay
with older versions of Linux.

Wesley D. Johnson,  Linux user since 1994

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---