remove snd prefix

INSTALL directions for /etc/modules.conf
The statement about removing snd- prefixes from some names is not explicit.
It led me to believe that I needed to remove the snd- prefix
from all alsa names in modules.conf.  That DID NOT WORK.

Actually it almost worked, it found the old OSS drivers which have similar
names.
( Yes I had both installed, selected by which one was modprobed.  I was
trying
everything as I had no sound working on this machine.)

I still do not know what names those instructions about removing the snd-
prefix are referring to.

Due to the lack of clear documentation I am forced to use some autoconfig,
which works, but it wipes out all my existing ALSA modules.conf settings,
and replaces my organization with its own.

The HOWTO and the other ALSA docs conflict on the module.conf contents.
It may be that either device designation (such as snd-card-0) will work, or
devices names
in the HOWTO may be obsolete.

Please, either remove the lines about removing snd- prefixes or clarify
exactly what
names it is referring to.  Remember that most users do not know your
in-house terminology and will assume that you are referring to the
module names, which also have snd- prefixes.
It must be clear to someone who has not been into the code.

Wesley D. Johnson,  Linux user since 1994

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---