Success on VT1617A

Successful ALSA, finally, after 10 months of no sound.
Installed ALSA 1.0.17, which has a fix for VT1617, after trying 1.0.9, and
1.0.16.
However, I had so many problems installing ALSA that I doubt that I ever
really tested the
previous ALSA versions.

  AMD Sempron, 1.6Ghz, 256MB
  Chaintech SK8T800 motherboard, VIA chipset
  VIA K8T800, VIA VT8237R
  VT1617A, 5.1 Ch, AC97 codec
  Linux 2.4.31.W10   from Slackware 10.2

TiMidity is up and working too.

Previous symptoms.
  - sound is broken, just clicks once every 20 sec.
  - same clicks during lilo boot menu
  - this machine only has Linux on it

Have no idea how to generate sounds beyond 2-ch using Linux.
Probably not worth the time and effort, probably only some win-games use it.

Wesley D. Johnson,    Linux user since 1994

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---