Re: midi timing issues (?) with m-audio delta-44, f8, ccrma distro

steve linabery wrote:
> If I import a known good midi file into Rosegarden, for example, and
> send the midi to my vDrum brain, it sounds like it's being played by
> someone with no sense of rhythm.
>
> Yesterday I recorded a performance using both ardour and rosegarden
> (capturing audio and midi, respectively), then re-recorded audio using
> the midi recording and my vDrum as a sound source, and the resulting
> audio tracks were more or less spot-on the same.

Indicates the problem isn't ALSA but as you suggest below, a
timing/interrupt issue.

> Today, I did the same thing, and I got the "absolute beginner" effect
> described in paragraph 1 above.

Could you run top and iotop while you are doing this.  It is possible
that there is something that is running in the background that has a
higher priority than your application, and is thus causing timing errors.

> I don't really understand how to debug the timing source on my system.
> I'm running the ccrma distro, so I assume the kernel has high
> resolution timing compiled in.

I don't either. ;-)  When I looked at CCRMA, it seemed your statement
is true.  Did you modify the file as described here from CCRMA
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installfedoraseven.html#SECTION00040600000000000000
If this is an update, that is, you have previously installed the
jack-audio-connection-kit that is part of the Fedora repository, you
will need to edit /etc/security/limits.conf to modify the permissions
for realtime scheduling and memory locking (which are set by the
Fedora Jack package to much more conservative values than what Planet
CCRMA needs).

So, edit /etc/security/limits.conf and see what you have for the
values of ``rtprio'', ``nice'' and ``memlock'' parameters, if the
lines where those parameters appear start with anything other than
``*'' then you need to change the file. Change those lines to be:

* - rtprio 99
* - nice -10
* - memlock 4000000

(this will give any user access to realtime scheduling and memory
locking - not just a group - and the maximum usable priority will be
99 instead of - last time I checked - 20).

You could look at man getrlimit and man setrlimit as well.

Note that this could have security and performance ramifications.  You
could instead create an audio group, add yourself to it, and give the
above settings to it.

@audio - rtprio 99
etc.

Also note that this advice is not repeated for Fedora 8, though there
is no explanation.

> Here's the output from alsa-info:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=daa5d493389103b81ab071e81c3bfba1b19f803d
>
> I think I'll try a more recent kernel and see if that helps. I use
> 2.6.24.7-1.rt3.2.fc8.ccrmart at the moment because when I first
> installed f8/planetccrma the most recent kernels gave me some system
> hangups.
I don't think this will help, but worth a try.