Audigy Config Problems

Hi.  I would appreciate any information on how to lash up the subject card
so that it will work as well as it is currently supported.

Specs:  I have a Dell OptiPlex GX1 which does have a built in sound card
however Debian Etch Linux didn't see it during the install and subseqent
attempts to get the kernel to see it (Linux kernel version 2.6.18-6-686).  I
saw from the ALSA web site that they did support the Audigy SE card so I
proceeded to install the card and the Audigy driver files.

I have been through the documentation.  The kernel does see the card when
the lspci -list command is run.  I ran alsaconf and followed other
instructions on the ALSA web site.  I am at a loss and don't know where to
go to from here.  The asound command doesn't work.  I am allowed to open the
volume control.  The record and play back function isn't working.  It is
very frustrating and I need help please.  Thank you

Jim