Re: flash audio over jack (?)

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 17:06 +0200, Rene Herman wrote:
> On 29-07-08 16:22, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>
> > i would like to route the audio from firefox' flash plugin to jack in
> > whatever way possible. on ubuntu dapper, i could start firefox with some
> > environment variable, that forced the flash plugin to use OSS instead of
> > alsa, so that i could route its output over oss2jack to jack.
> > now, i am on ubuntu hardy and i was told, that it would be best to just
> > an .asoundrc, that routes 'default' to jack.
> >
> > this is my .asoundrc:
> >

> > pcm.!default {
> >     type jack
> >     playback_ports {
> >         0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
> >         1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
> >     }
> >     capture_ports {
> >         0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
> >         1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
> >     }
> > }
> >

> > when i start firefox and load a site with flash audio content, i get
> > this message (from firefox stderr):
> >
> > ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1240:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
> >
> > this message appears ~10 times per second, as long as the flash content
> > runs, but i don't get any audio in jack.
> >
> > my specs:
> > ubuntu hardy on 32bit i686
> > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
> > Compiled on Jun 18 2008 for kernel 2.6.24-19-rt (SMP).
> >
> > (i didn't post any hardware specs, since there is no hw involved in my
> > problem, from what i can say)
> >
> > thanks for all hints.
>
> Don't get me wrong, interesting question and someone here might know but
> you might still have a better audience on a JACK mailing list. So if no
> immediate luck here, I'd try there (ofcourse, posting back any results
> here would in that case be appreciated!)

hi rene

thanks for the hint. i will follow your advice and post there as well.
however, the reason, why i posted here first, was, because jack works
all well here. i suspect the problem to be on the alsa side, since the
error i get is certainly an alsa specific error, not a jack specific
one. it seems, that i setup everything correctly, since skype(alsa) ->
jack plugin -> jack works fine.

since i know, that flash is not going to have native flash support soon,
i am trying the alsa jack-plugin way and that is what i have troubles
with at the moment (and would like to make work). therefore i still hope
to rather get a meaningful answer here than from jack list.

cheers
roman