Re: no sound in new 8.04 installation - nvidia hda

Michalakis Dimitrios wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't get any sound from my laptop (Medion MD 96282), which has a MCP51 High Definition Audio device from nVidia corporation. Ubuntu can find the chip, has the drivers but there is no sound at all! Nothing is muted in volume control and I tried the basic troubleshooting in the wiki 'debugging sound problems' and the 'Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide v0.5e' in the ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
> with no results. Should I try something else? any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Dimitris

It seems you've done the simple things.

Could you run a script which provides more information
about your sound setup and post the link back here?
The script is found at
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh

Have you tried running aplay to see if it can generate
sound.  Change the first 0 to your sound slot if
appropriate.

aplay -vv -D plughw:0,0  some.wav

Look for complaints in /var/log/messages on boot about
sound conflicts or problems.  Also look when you try to
play to see if something is being written.

Are you running pulse?  Have you set up sources and
sinks for it?  Does it have proper access?  It acquires
alsa when it runs so can block sound if not properly
setup.  http://www.pulseaudio.org

The HD audio seems to create most of the problems
lately because of their variability.  You can try
passing different options to the card during modprobe
at startup to see if it helps.  If you need help with
this, post back.