Re: no sound with NVidia AD1988B onboard soundcard

bartlebooth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble configuring sound on a machine running OpenSuse 11.0.
> The machine has an Asus M3N-HT motherboard with an NVidia 780a chipset,
> with onboard sound card. According to the motherboard documentation,
> this is an ADI AD1988B BH 8-channel HD audio codec.
>
> I can't get any sound out of my card. I tried to configure the sound
> card using OpenSuse Yast and alsaconfig, but the result is the same.
>
> Below are the details of my configuration. I've run the alsa-config.sh
> and tsalsa scripts. The output of these scripts can be found on
>

> alsa-info output
> http://pastebin.ca/1082495
>
> tsalsa output
> http://nopaste.com/p/aVzUhDiLG
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
> Thanks,
>
> Bart

Great job on the post!  Everything is there.

To me, everything looks good.  I recall a message on
this list or the devel list from Takashi Iwai in such a
case where he mentioned a conflict between a couple of
settings in amixer, though I don't recall the
specifics, vaguely that it might concern IEC958.  It is
a long shot, but it might help.  You should be able to
find it on www.gmane.org.

Have you tried running aplay to see if it can generate
sound.

aplay -vv -D plughw:0,0  some.wav

Look for complaints in /var/log/messages on boot about
sound conflicts or problems.  Also look when you try to
play to see if something is being written.

Are you running pulse?  Have you set up sources and
sinks for it?  Does it have proper access?  It acquires
alsa when it runs so can block sound if not properly
setup.  http://www.pulseaudio.org

The HD audio seems to create most of the problems
lately because of their variability.  You can try
passing different options to the card during modprobe
at startup to see if it helps.  If you need help with
this, post back.