Re: PCM mutes every time I boot

turtle wrote:
> On Monday 16 June 2008 10:07:00 you wrote:

-snip-
>> I've read of people having conflicts between modems and soundcards on
>> this list. Don't know if
>> that is true in your case, but a possibility.
>>
> How do I prevent the modem module from loading as a test?

I don't know of a way.  You could probably use modprobe to unload it
after it is
in place.  See   man modprobe   .

-snip

>> I think there should be a line like
>>
>> alias snd-intel8x0 index=0
>>
>> just as a precaution.
>>

> Done, no change

Then the modem is probably not the problem.
>> Try /sbin/alsactl store. The restore command is /sbin/alsactl restore to
>> get back a saved profile.
>>

> so in Gentoo just
> #alsactl restore
> did the trick. How do i get the laptop to do this every boot?

I'm not sure of Gentoo boot procedure.  But there should be a file
called /etc/rc.local
Anything placed in there is run after all other initialization.  Put the
command
alsactl restore in that file.  This is a kludge.  You shouldn't have to
do this.  Alsa
normally runs this automatically.  The fact it isn't on your system
means something
is wrong.  I don't know enough about how this happens to help you though.

> here is my setup http://pastebin.ca/1065224

This was taken when everything was working, right?  Because everything
looks just fine. :-)