PCM mutes every time I boot

/etc/asound.state does not save and restore settings in conjunction with my
intel AC97 chip. I have RTFM and spent alot of time researching the issue.

Everytime I boot I have to open a terminal sudo alsamixer, manually
unmute "PCM" and raise the volume for sound to work.
 Is there a way to configure Alsa, KDE or a script to do this automaticly?

 I have alsasound in my boot runlevel. It has been sugested to use it in
default. I have tried this with no change.

 Using different kernels with same results currently:
 Kernel 2.6.23-tuxonice-r10 #3 I have everything compiled as modules

Code:

   lspci | grep 'Audio'
 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

Code:
  <M> Intel/SiS/nVidia/AMD/ALi AC97 Controller
│ │
   │ │              <M> Intel/SiS/nVidia/AMD MC97 Modem

 MY /etc/modules.d/alsa:

Code:
  alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
 alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
 alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
 alias char-major-116 snd
 alias char-major-14 soundcore
 alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
 alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
 alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
 alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
 alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
 alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
 alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

 no clues in dmesg

Some config file info:
Code:
  less /etc/conf.d/alsasound | sed -e 's/[#;].*//;/^\s*$/d'
 ENABLE_OSS_EMUL="yes"
 RESTORE_ON_START="yes"
 SAVE_ON_STOP="yes"

 I alve tried toggeling save on stop to N as well
 I have tried kde configured with both the KDE sound system disabled and
enabled.
 Is there a way to setup the KDE sound system to do this?
 I am not sure I understand what the KDE sound system does.
 I have tried removing /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
 and restarting alsa, it starts correctly and PCM is un muted. If I reboot the
kernel the problem persists.

I have also tried /etc/init.d/alsasound save
I am using Gentoo and Gentoo has no furthur Ideas what is causing the problem.

I have followed Gentoo's Docs on recompiling kernel and checking all correct
modules are loading.
Currently snd loads
snd                    53124  10
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_intel8x0,snd_intel8x0m,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer

I have even tried changing the permissions oon my 2 asound.state files to keep
them from being rewritten.

 If nothing else can I write a script to do this every boot?
 Thanks in advance for all your great work and any ideas would be helpfull.
--
Cheers
Turtle