Re: Playing differents mp3 on several channels

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Dott. Giovanni Gasparri <giovanni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi everybody,
I need to play 8 different mp3 on 8 different mono channel in the
same time.
Is it possible to use alsa to play two different audio tracks through
the standard stereo output?

Yes. By editing the file .asoundrc you can create virtual devices which can consist of  the channels of real devices. You can for example build a 8in/8out soundcard from 8 standard stereo in/out soundcards.
The easier solution is to use JACK/QJackCtl to make the mono outputs available. With ARDOUR for example, which has JACK integrated I think, it should be easy to play 8 different tracks without any complicated file editing.

What kind of card/s would be good for me?

Depends on what your budget is. A  8in/8out card I can recommend is my RME Hammerfall Multiface (runs on PCI or PCMCIA) but this costs about 800 Euro new or 400 used. There will be cheaper solutions with two 4in/4out cards running on USB, but I have no personal expierences with that. This also depends on the latency/ quality you need for your project.

- - -
Giovanni Gasparri