Re: tv card: no sound

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 19:18, Robert Zelic wrote:
> > Aha!! We may be getting somewhere. I fished out an audio cable for my
> > cdrom drive, to see if my cd input would work on my mobo, perhaps using
> > the existing controls on alsamixer, but no go. So then I looked at the
> > different model options for my ALC662/Azalia codec, and added the
> > following one in my /etc/modprobe.conf
> > options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=3stack-dig
>
> PROBLEM SOLVED!
> I entered the same line in modprobe.conf, restarted the system, and the CD
> slider showed up in alsamixer. And now I have sound in every tv app !!!!!
> Now the sound is not so loud like it was, but I can make it louder on my
> speaker.
>
> Thanks 100 times Nigel.
>
> Regards, Robert.

Hi Robert. No problemo. It's nice to see a problem resolved, and at the same
time I sorted out why my cd in on the mobo didn't work.

Now I'm looking at my Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) install on the same machine.
That only has alsa driver 1.0.14 (no support for ALC662 showing for that),
and although model=3stack-dig adds the cd slider to alsamixer, there is no
sound when playing an audio cd. I think I'll upgrade the alsa driver to
1.0.15 first, and try that, as ALC662 codec is supported with that.

This is becoming a bit academic now, as I can always use "direct digital
playback" for playing audio cd's, but all the same is a bit of fun resolving
problems.

btw: Does your Leadtek tv2000 expert TV card's sound work without having to
set any options? If so, that's nice to know, as I had multiple problems with
sound on my Hauppauge Win TV Express card (bt878a chip).

All the best.

Nigel.