Re: tv card: no sound

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 13:04, Robert Zelic wrote:
> > For example, in the case of my card which uses the bttv driver, I
> > downloaded the tarball for the driver, unpacked it, and oftentimes there
> > are a lot of options presented in various files to get stuff working.
> >
> > Would you post the output of lspci -v? lspci-vv might give more info, and
> > just the lines for the TV card. I'm pretty much doing nothing so can
> > ggogle a bit to see if I can info for getting sounds working on the card.
> >
> > The full output as well for lsmod would be usefull.
> >
> > Personally I never got tvtime to work, and have never tried mplayer for
> > watching TV, but Xawtv works ok, and I've stayed with that.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> In windows I use dscaler and as it use its own built in drivers
> I dont need to install them from cd which comes with the tv card.
>
> Unfortunately the card doesn't have audio out, the only way to connect
> the sound is through cdin on mobo.
> http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tvel2.jpg
>
> I used to have a cheap Intex tv card, it was connected through audio out
> - line in, and no problem with sound at all. I could easily configure every
> tv application.
> I googled for this issue before i posted the question here on the list,
> and I see some other people have the same problem but no usefull answers.
>
> I use tvtime mostly because it has better deinterlacing metods and better
> picture quality than the other apps.
>
> Here are the outputs you asked for:
<skipped>

Aha!! We may be getting somewhere. I fished out an audio cable for my cdrom
drive, to see if my cd input would work on my mobo, perhaps using the
existing controls on alsamixer, but no go. So then I looked at the different
model options for my ALC662/Azalia codec, and added the following one in
my /etc/modprobe.conf
options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=3stack-dig

index=0 was already there, as part of the auto soundcard detection on Fedora
8.

A reboot, and wonder of wonders, I now have a cd slider in alsamixer, and the
audio cd plays using the audio cable plugged into the cd skt on the mobo.

There are a whole bunch of model options for the ALC883/888 as below.

ALC883/888
   3stack-dig 3-jack with SPDIF I/O
   6stack-dig 6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O
   3stack-6ch    3-jack 6-channel
   3stack-6ch-dig 3-jack 6-channel with SPDIF I/O
   6stack-dig-demo  6-jack digital for Intel demo board
   acer  Acer laptops (Travelmate 3012WTMi, Aspire 5600, etc)
   acer-aspire Acer Aspire 9810
   medion Medion Laptops
   medion-md2 Medion MD2
   targa-dig Targa/MSI
   targa-2ch-dig Targs/MSI with 2-channel
   laptop-eapd   3-jack with SPDIF I/O and EAPD (Clevo M540JE, M550JE)
   lenovo-101e Lenovo 101E
   lenovo-nb0763 Lenovo NB0763
   lenovo-ms7195-dig Lenovo MS7195
   haier-w66 Haier W66
   6stack-hp HP machines with 6stack (Nettle boards)
   3stack-hp HP machines with 3stack (Lucknow, Samba boards)
   6stack-dell Dell machines with 6stack (Inspiron 530)
   mitac  Mitac 8252D
   auto  auto-config reading BIOS (default)

You may have to just try some of them. For me the 3stack-dig refers to 2
channel output with spdif, and think 3stack refers to having 3 jack skts on
the soundcard. See how it goes, and if you do get a cd slider on alsamixer,
and have an audio cable for the cdrom drive, try that out with an audio cd
first, as saw some gloomy stuff about sound on Tv cards, mind you I had to
mess about with options to get sound working on my TV card. Link below.
http://linux.bytesex.org/v4l2/cx88.html

All the best.

Nigel.