Re: Output sample rate

I don't think we are in disagreement in substance. I was trying to give a
larger framework for all of those not as familiar with the general workings
and decisions behind computer audio as currently implemented. "Just works"
is very important to most users. But isn't right for some of us.

Somewhere something does set a default samplerate and it usually is 48KHz.
The alsa.config file has a setting but it doesn't seem to change anything.
However, with the Hammerfall driver, for example, the driver explicitly sets
the sample rate. I could not get "hw" or "plughw" to override it.

And when I start up the system it always defaults to 48KHz with both the
Juli@ and the Intel HDaudio drivers. It also switches to 48 between tracks
in some setups and drivers. I have not found any settings that can change
this and the Alsa devs have not revealed one either. However I have Alsa
doing mostly what I want using "plughw".

I defeated dmix since it's absolutely what I don't want. And I didn't want
software volume control and any of a number of other things that would touch
the audio stream.

The edits of the config file to get the desired results are not easy and
Alsa has a reputation for having some of the most obtuse syntax in Linux.

Demian Martin
Product Design Services