Re: more on snd-pcsp

Hi, firstly my apologies for the multiple messages to alsa-user. The
mailing list hosting on sourceforge was having problems at the time.

stan wrote, on 2008-06-10 07:38:
> Arthur Marsh wrote:
>> Hi, I finally installed a Debian snapshot kernel that uses ALSA 1.0.16
>> rather than a 1.0.16 release candidate version, and had the pcsp (PC
>> speaker) driver block the loading of an nForce2 sound card driver until
>> I blacklisted pcsp.
>>
>> There has been some discussion on this before in this list but I'd like
>> to know if there is any consensus amongst ALSA developers on handling
>> snd-pcsp intelligently.
>>
>> In an even bigger wishlist department, how one can easily make a
>> selection between several sound cards in a machine as to which one is
>> default and which other ones still have drivers loaded?
>>
> You seem to have done that already below.

Yes, manually, after trial and error. snd-pcsp was another interesting
development of the newer kernels. My old machine (which otherwise has
only a SoundBlaster Live!5.1 model 0220 EMU10K1 sound card) reports this
on boot-up:

pcspkr: probe of pcspkr failed with error -5

The newer machine with multiple sound cards was loading snd-pcsp and
blocking the loading of snd-intel8x0 until snd-pcsp was blacklisted.

>> The machine in question has:
>>
>> /etc/modprobe.d$/sound:
>>
>> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
>> options snd-intel8x0 index=0
>> alias snd-card-1 snd-mpu-401
>> options snd-mpu-401 index=1
>> alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio
>> options snd-usb-audio index=2
>> alias snd-card-3 snd-fm801
>> options snd-fm801 index=3
>>

> The list below corresponds to the index specifications above, and
> the default card will be the snd-intel unless you change it in an .asoundrc
> file.
>> and now has:
>>
>> cat /proc/asound/cards
>>   0 [nForce2        ]: NFORCE - NVidia nForce2
>>                        NVidia nForce2 with ALC650F at irq 21
>>
> This is the only one that doesn't seem intuitive.
>>   1 [UART           ]: MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
>>                        MPU-401 UART at 0x330, irq 10
>>   2 [U0x46d0x8d9    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x8d9
>>                        USB Device 0x46d:0x8d9 at usb-0000:00:02.0-1,
>> full speed
>>   3 [FM801AU        ]: FM801 - ForteMedia FM801-AU
>>                        ForteMedia FM801-AU at 0x9400, irq 16
>>
>> Note that there is *not* a clear mapping between names in
>> /proc/asound/cards and snd-* modules used.
>>
>> Has anyone come up with a solution to help with the selection of default
>> cards and appropriate black-listing if needed?
>>
> Maybe I didn't understand your question.

In the "old" days of ALSA one would run alsaconf to detect and load
drivers for cards.

These days, detection largely "just works" but it would be good to have
a command line application to temporarily blacklist modules during
detection of cards and give the user the option of blacklisting modules,
try detecting and generating sound as appropriate for all detected sound
cards and let the user specify the default sound card.

Regards,

Arthur.