Re: hda-intel codec not being detected on ICH9 chipset

On Friday 23 May 2008 00:27, Peter Westley wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> Thanks again for putting so much time into my problem! See comments inline.
>
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:15 AM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 May 2008 12:35, you wrote:
> > > Update:
> > >
> > > I removed the DVB-T card from the system and rebooted - same problem.
> > > System sees the card but the ALSA system doesn't recognise the codec
> > >
> > > <sigh> still looking.
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > Hi Peter. First of all it would be fair to say that there are horrible
> > problems with hda intel based cards, as they are setup differently on the
> > mobos of PC's/Laptops, depending on which machine you have. Laptops are
> > the worst, as your only alternative if you can't get the onboard hda
> > intel card to produce sounds, is to buy a USB, or pcmcia card. At least
> > with a PC, and aspare PCI slot you can buy a cheap, known Alsa supported
> > card, and get the sounds working.
> >
> > That said, you had sounds working when you had your Gutsy Gibbon
> > installed, so
> > at least you know the sounds worked with the hda intel card.
> >
> > You say that your not sure if the sounds stopped after installing the
> > server
> > version of Ubuntu GG, or after you'd installed HH 8.04. I spent a bit of
> > time
> > at the Ubuntu site looking at the server version, and the kernel. It did
> > say
> > the server kernel was somewhat different, but didn't say too much about
> > the differences. I don't know if there is some specific reason that you
> > need the
> > server kernel, but if not it may be worth installing the generic one, and
> > seeing if the sounds work ok with it.
> >
> > I'm a bit lost. Alsaconf is now deprecated, and no longer exists on GG.
> > You used to be able to run that command as root, and it would search for
> > soundcards, and if found set them up. I can't find anything on GG to
> > reconfigure the soundcard. All that running "asoundconf list " (no double
> > quotes)shows is soundcards that are already configured.
> >
> > There are a couple of things you could try to perhaps identify the
> > problem.
> >
> > First open konsole/terminal, and enter the following text.
> > sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
> > This should capture any problems when running the following stuff.
> >
> > Now open another instance of konsole/terminal, and run the following
> > command.
> > sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop
> > Followed by /etc/init.d/alsa-utils start
> > Any messages on the konsole running tail -f?
>
> I get:
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop
>  * Shutting down
> ALSA...                                                         * warning:
> 'alsactl store' failed with error message 'alsactl: save_state:1497: No
> [...]

Hi Peter. Sorry none of my suggestions produced any positive results.

As regards your mobo with only one PCI slot. That has to be quite pathetic.
You used to be able to get mobo's with 5 PCI slots, and I've been hunting for
a new atx mobo, to put in a case that I've had for some time. I have found an
atx one with 3 PCI slots, and a couple pf PCI express ones, and am waiting
for it to arrive (Asus M2N-X Plus). Not too expensive 52.50 euros. It too may
have a dodgy onboard soundcard. It will be interesting to see if the sound
works when it arrives.

Yes, do post to the alsa-development list. I hope someone there can help you
to get the sounds back up and running.

Nigel.