M-audio Midisport 4x4

On my dual-boot Windows XP/Open SuSe 10.2 system I use an M-Audio Midisport 4x4.
In YaST it is configured as soundcard number 2 with Driver snd-usb-audio, and in Hardware Information all the details seem to be listed.
In JACK ALSA the Midisport's 4 input ports and 4 output ports are visible.
If I do not unplug my computer, everything is fine, but if I unplug my computer and subsequently boot into Linux, the Midisport is no longer listed in JACK, and the LEDs on the Midisport unit itself do not light up.
The only way that I can bring the Midisport back to life is firstly to boot into Windows, then re-boot into Linux. From then on, everything is OK if I never turn off the power supply. So for the last few months I have not unplugged my computer.
After reading stuff about firmware blobs on this mailing list and discovering what they are via Google, I decided to re-address the issue, and I found this reference on Google
Since I am not very good at command line stuff, I thought installing an RPM with YaST would be perfect - no need to worry about dependencies or the files going into the wrong directories - so I downloaded the RPM - and now "midisport-firmware" and "fxload" are installed on my system. But it has made no difference. When I unplugged my computer and subsequently booted into Linux, the Midisport was dead, and it only revived when I booted into Windows. Whilst I can live with this, it does mean that I can never be fully independent of Windows...
Obviously I am missing something basic. I found an article in Sourceforge about Linux Hotplugging but it was way above my head...
Any ideas please? And if I did get the Midisport working properly with Linux, would it still also work with Windows?

Graham