Re: Cannot hear S/PDIF-In real-time, but can record it

> If it's also impossible on XP, chances are the hardware doesn't
> support what you want to do.

On XP it seems that the hardware needs a "S/PDIF-In real-time
monitor", probably a tiny application doing the necessary memcpy's.

IMO, in ALSA, if there isn't a physical connection from spdif-in to
the output mixer, it still should be possible to make a connection in
software, but more elegant than arecord-to-aplay.

>> I'm using snd-hda-intel, model "6stack-dig".
>
> You should never have to use a model option to make your sound work.

I used an explicit model, only because I also had this problem without
adding one. I wanted to make sure that it wasn't an incorrect model
that caused this, but it didn't help.

> Post your lspci output for the sound card so this can be fixed.

It's a realtek 889A, I've already found a patch to make it use the 883
as a base, instead of the 882. I haven't tried a snapshot with that
patch yet. Actually, I will upgrade it to Ubuntu 8.04 but I cannot
afford to do it this week because I'm using it for some development
work.

> Do "nice -n -20 arecord | nice -n -20 aplay" with a smaller
> buffer/period size.  See aplay --help.

That's still not an option. If it cannot be done in asoundrc, I'll try
to add it to the kernel driver instead. It seems quite trivial, I can
record from the port, all that has to be done is to mix it
"somewhere". To me that seems like something that may already exist in
the asoundrc syntax, but without a remotely simular example I have no
clue how...