Re: Spikes in sound when playing 640kbps ac3

Dominique Dumont <dominique.dumont@xxxxxx> writes:

> I have a problem when playing dolby digital streams encoded at
> 640kbps. This problem occurs with mplayer or 'ac3dec -C'. When playing
> 640 kbps stream, I hear spikes (or short scratchy sounds) 4 or 5 times
> per seconds on all channels. These spikes do not occur on silent
> moment, only on loud moment or musical moments.
>
> I use intel-hda driver with Realtek ALC883 chip on linux 2.6.24 (alsa
> 1.0.15).
>
> The dolby digital decoder is a quite old Yamaha DSP-A1.
>
> My setup works fine for AC3 stream with lower data rate (448 or 576
> kbps) or with DTS streams.
>
> Does anyone have the same problem ?
>
> Can anyone share his experience with decoding 640kbps ac3 stream with
> oldish yamaha decoder ?

I've used a KISS DVD player with its internet connection and the sound
also has "spikes". I guess that the KISS player runs with a old linux.

And a friend of mine has tried the same files on 2.6.18 with another
amplifier and the AC3 stream is decoded fine.

So I guess that my old amp is the culprit.

Thanks for your help.

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they