Jetway j7f2 via82xx volume problem: sound suddenly stops when increasing volume

I have several J7F2 boards from Jetway, containing a 8237 via sound
device on the south bridge.

Using the alsa-driver, when I increase the volume then at some point all
over sudden the sound stops. On some boards this happens at 75%, on
others already at 60%, or 90%. Bringing the volume down again does not
bring the audio back ...

I am using the alsa-drivers with MPlayer.

Although to me this smells like a hardware problem, I understand from
googling around that this can be fixed with software, but I cannot find
the correct solution anywhere. I have tested with gentoo kernels 2.6.22
and 2.6.24.

AFAIK there are only 2 ways to get the sound back once it has stopped:

1) reset the mobo
2) rmmod snd-via82xx, followed by modprobe snd-via82xx

The strange thing is that in option 2), the problem seems to be gone
once the driver has been reloaded; from that moment on it is working
fine ....!

There is a driver from Via Arena (viaudiocombo) that seems to work fine,
but it is OSS i.o. ALSA, and also a development by Via Arena i.o. the
Linux community. Besides, I need synchronization features from the audio
driver, and I do not think that OSS support this (not 100% sure).

Can anyone help me and shed light on this?

TIA!

Zoilo.