Re: No Sound

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Sunday 30 March 2008 20:27, Paul Thompson wrote:
>
>> Bill Unruh wrote:

>>> /etc/modprobe.conf
>>> alias sound-slot-0 snd_maestro3
>>>
>>> What do you have now in /etc/modprobe.conf regarding sound?
>>>
>> Bill
>>
>>  > What do you have now in /etc/modprobe.conf regarding sound?
>>
>> # remove this if sound is configured
>> install char-major-116    /bin/true
>>
>> However modprobe.d/sound had
>>
>> alias snd-card-0 snd-maestro3
>> alias sound-slot-0 snd-maestro3
>>
>> Yet this combination is not working.
>>
>> Nigel
>>
>> I don't seem to have an /etc/rc.local
>>
>> Thanks
>> Paul
>>

> Hi Paul. I'm a bit in the dark, as I don't have a Suse install available. have
> a look though at /etc/init.d, if that directory exists. You may find a
> rc.local file there, and can add the modprobe snd_maestro3 line there.
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d may also be an option for finding the rc.local file.
>
> Quite why your /etc/modprobe.conf shows your sounds being sent to /bin true is
> a bit confusing. Anything sent to /bin/true goes nowhere, and is totally
> ignored as if the module/s don't exist.
>
> Nigel.
>

> .

I did a file search of the hard drive for rc.local and nothing was
found. "whereis" I got

pat@NewMoo:~> whereis rc.local
rc: /etc/rc.status /etc/rc.d /etc/rc.splash

As an experiment I added "/sbin/modprobe snd_maestro3" to the end of
inittab, and commented out the second sound line in modprobe.conf, i.e.

# remove this if sound is configured
#install char-major-116    /bin/true

No joy, at this point I have reduced the problem to running a quick
shell script as root, that's a lot better than running all of alsaconf.
There might not be a SuSE 10.3 solution, although my 9.3 partition works
just fine.

Paul