Re: M-Audio Revolution 5.1: In need of advice

On Saturday 29 March 2008 14:42:49 Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 22:37:25 +0100
>
> Ruediger Dohmhardt <ruediger.dohmhardt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hal V. Engel schrieb:
> > > On Friday 04 January 2008 09:43:31 D.H.J. Takken wrote:
> > >
> > > Dik,
> > >
> > > I have a Revo 7.1 which uses the same driver.  At least with current
> > > ALSA drivers the Revo 7.1 works nicely.  The biggest issues I think are
> > > related to the names used for the controls not being very user
> > > meaningful.  But once I got the drivers configured it has worked very
> > > well.
> >
> > Dear Hal,
> >
> > I also have the M-Audio Revolution 7.1. The outputs work fine.
> > Unfortunately, I lack volume and capture mixer (in alsamixer)
> > for all inputs.
> >
> > Though, I can record from  "Line-In" with , e.g. ,
> >
> >     arecord -f dat -d 5 test.wav
> >
> > but the volume is very, very low.  Hence , I guess  if I had  the
> > capture (or volume)  mixer,
> > I could make a "regular" recording with respect to volume.
> > Maybe you can send me your /etc/asound.conf.
> >
> > I installed alsa-1.0.16 from source.
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/version
> >     Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
> >     Compiled on Mar 29 2008 for kernel 2.6.22.19.
> >

> > arecord -l
> >     **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
> >     card 0: Revolution71 [M Audio Revolution-7.1], device 0: ICE1724
> > [ICE1724]
> >       Subdevices: 1/1
> >       Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> >

> > Many thanks in advance
> >
> > Ciao Ruediger D.
>
> Revolution 7.1 does not have capture volume control in HW.
>
> Probably 'softwol' plugin can help, but I'm not the one to ask how
> to create ALSA configuration files.
>
> Regards,
>   Sergei.

This is correct.  The line in and mic channels do not have any way to control
the level directly and there is no boost control on the mic channel like most
audio devices.  Both the mic and line in will give exactly the same results
for a given input device. This allows you to use the mic and line in inputs
for doing stereo recording.  These inputs have 24 bit ADCs so even with a low
level input like a mic you have some headroom above the noise floor on the
digital side of things and from what I have been able to tell the mic noise
floor is the limiting factor.  Therefore you can get a usable signal out of
these inputs even though the signal does appear to be very weak at first.  So
using some type of software level control on these inputs does work OK.
Better still I think would be to use some type of mic preamp but I have not
personally tested this and I suspect that it would have to be a very low
noise device to get better results.

Hal