M-Audio Revolution 5.1: In need of advice

Hello,

I'm considering to get myself an M-Audio Revolution 5.1 card. All I want it to
do is play high quality standard 44 KHz 16 bit music and AC3 streams across
two pairs of speakers (front and rear), using analog outputs and two stereo
amps.

Reading the list archives, various forums and the ALSA changelogs, I am a bit
concerned that there might be some issues with surround playback on this
card. I tried to figure out if these issues are all resolved in recent ALSA
or not, but I can't be sure. My main sources of concern:

* Possible issues with channels being mixed up
* Possible problems with buffering/sample rates/crackling sound
* It is not clear if the LFE channel can be mixed into the front channels
* The changelogs for the driver are rather short, lately. Either this means
there are few issues left (I do hope so!), of the driver lacks maintainers.

So, if you own a Revolution 5.1, please reply and take my concerns away.. :)

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Dik