Working config. Suddenly: ERROR: Failed to load necessary drivers

Hi,

My config had been working for 2 years, but it stopped yesterday.
When I try to start alsa (gentoo) I see these messages:
[ ok ]
[ ok ]
[ ok ]
 *   ERROR: Failed to load necessary drivers
[ ok ]
 * Restoring Mixer Levels ...

Running Alsaconf works. No errors, the card is configured properly. But
still the drivers fail to load.

In dmesg, I see no related error messages.

How can I debug this?

Regards,
Hendrik