JAVA 32 bit and a 64 bit OS ?

Hello,

 I have a 64bit machine with a 64bit OS. I am trying to run a java
program using the 32bit java (the real time version).

 Mostly it works fine, I get wonderful low latency audio, but opening a
midi device input crashes the program with an assertion error in
rawmidi.c (line 264)

 I am guessing that the problem is calling a 64bit library from 32bit
code?

 Will compiling alsa-lib with the -m32 option fix this if so how do I go
about doing this so the java will use the 32bit library.

 Any other advice would be welcome. I could also try installing a 32bit
version of ubunutu but I would prefer to find a solution that keeps the
64bit OS.

Paul.