Re: Help with arecord

> $ arecord -d 10 -f S16_LE -r 48000 -c 2 -t wav -D hw:0 foobar.wav
> Recording WAVE 'foobar.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000
> Hz, Stereo
> arecord: pcm_read:1347: read error: Input/output error
>
> ("-c 1" gives a different error).

The I/O error is an issue.  What does dmesg or other /var/log/ areas say about the error?

> (See: http://pastebin.ca/903687)

Everything seems fine there, EXCEPT for the /etc/asound.conf.  It appears to explicitly state hw:0,0, which is the playback device(and only playback).  hw:0,1 would be recording.  Or just hw:0 if you want both.  Or I could be wrong.  You might try removing / moving / renaming /etc/asound.conf.  And also .asoundrc.  To see if it works without any configuration.  If it does then there's your problem.  If that's the case, then changing hw:0,0 to hw:0 in /etc/asound.conf might be a solution.  You're probably better off without a global conf if you're only using one user anyway.

Other than that you appear to have some sort of hardware issue.  Given the I/O errors.  Perhaps an IRQ conflict?  Reminds me a little of the disable PnP and UPnP options in the CMOS/BIOS to get around it days.  Might try that as well.

Don't fret alsamixer much.  It is a bit cryptic from a first exposure POV.  The L R stuff means that it is indeed stereo and has 2 channels.  intel_8x0 is quite old and well supported afaik.  So upgrading alsa versions probably wont help.  hda-intel on the other hand...

pciids.sf.net says those vender:device numbers correspond to:
8086:24d5: 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller
although the sub-device doesn't have an entry yet.

There's a dsnoop entry/option for recording devices in .asoundrc.  But I normally don't have to specify anything there as the defaults work fine for me.  But if you're gonna travel through google and the alsa wiki, dsnoop might help you narrow down what you're looking for.

I don't normally use arecord.  And don't normally have any .asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf as long as I have a single sound card.  I normally use audacity to record.  Or jackd and ardour.  Depending mainly on which one has a buggy distro/svn version on any given day.  I prefer ardour, since it saves directly to hard drive.  So I don't have to wait for 3.5 minutes for it to save it to the hard drive after recording for over an hour.  Especially if I need to record again in the coming hour.  I generally stop/start recording every hour-ish so the file sizes stay under 1GB.  Which helps a lot come edit time.  Anyway give audacity a try, if it works fine, then something might be out of whack in your asoundrc or arecord options.

One thing just popped into my head though.  Is your user in the audio group?  groups <user> || cat /etc/group | grep -i "audio" /// Otherwise give arecord a try as root to see if it also errors out.  Just a thought.

HTH