Re: Help with arecord

> > > strace arecord -d 10 -f cd -t wav -D copy foobar.wav
> >
> > try:
> >
> > arecord -d 10 -f S16_LE -r 44100 -c 2 -t wav -D copy foobar.wav
> > or
> > arecord -d 10 -f cd -t wav -D hw:0 foobar.wav
>
> I tried the second and got:
>
> $ arecord -d 10 -f cd -t wav -D hw:0 foobar.wav
> Recording WAVE 'foobar.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100
> Hz, Stereo
> Warning: rate is not accurate (requested = 44100Hz, got = 48000Hz)
>          please, try the plug plugin
> arecord: pcm_read:1347: read error: Input/output error
>

> and I get a 44 byte foobar.wav file.  My .asoundrc is:
>
> pcm.copy {
> type plug
> slave {
> pcm hw
> }
> route_policy copy
> }

I'm not sure if that's the right syntax.  Perhaps something like:

pcm.copy {
  type plug
  pcm.slave <alias of actual hardware>
}

Or maybe "pcm hw:0" for your version.  .asoundrc is not my primary language, and I am but a lowly user.  However with the previous recommendations, I got a 1.7MB audio file.  But I have a mic and recorded sound in mine.  I tried your conf and the hw:0 version of your conf.  And both worked on my setup.  Perhaps you have some other syntax issue in the asoundrc.  Try moving that part to the top to get it interpreted before it runs into an error that stops it from interpretating.  (just guessing though, any missing { { { or } } }'s?)

In either case you should be able to do it long hand.
arecord -d 10 -f S16_LE -r 48000 -c 2 -t wav -D hw:0 foobar.wav
(based on previous error)
(might also try -c 1, since many cards only record mono anyway)

Perhaps the soundcard is locked by something like artsd, esd, jackd, ...  As I wonder if any of the wrappers work.  artsdsp, esddsp, aoss, ...  In either case you probably want to stop any sound daemons that might be running interference.  Also check your alsamixer settings.  Make sure the mic / capture isn't muted.  And otherwise exists.

HTH