Re: can't get mic to work on snd-intel8x0

Daniel,

I have the same configuration and problem as you . . but I'm still stuck
too . . it would be nice to get this sorted out . .

Phil.

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 07:43 +0000, Daniel Sanabria wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm very new to ALSA and in fact I've never had the need to change the
> default setting before. However in this occasion and with my desktop
> PC I've trying to configure my mic in order to use programs like skype
> but no luck. I'm running fedora 8 and KDE 3.5.
>
> I hear sounds fine but my mic is not working (I use a record to test
> it and all I hear is silence). The soundcard detection utility gives
> me the following details:
>
> Vendor: Intel Corporation
> Model: 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (IHC6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller
> Module: snd-intel8x0
>
> What I noticed is that in Kmix under the input tab if try to put the
> capture slider to the top it gets down to 0 every time I quit the app.
> Also and since the PC is Dell Dimension 5000 I have two mic connectors
> (one at the front and the other at the back of the PC) and they appear
> to be listed in kmix as mic1 and mic2 but none of them is working.
>
> My /etc/modprobe.conf below:
>
> [root@localhost ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
> alias eth0 b44
> alias scsi_hostadapter libata
> alias scsi_hostadapter1 ata_piix
> alias scsi_hostadapter2 usb-storage
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-intel8x0 index=0
> alias wlan0 ath5k
>
> [root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i alsa
> alsa-utils-1.0.15-1.fc8
> alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.15-2.fc8
> alsa-lib-1.0.15-1.fc8
> alsamixergui-0.9.0-0.3.rc1.fc8.2
> bluez-utils-alsa-3.20-4.fc8
>
> I have no ~/.asoundrc ...
>
> Any help is extremely appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Daniel
Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN 003 252 275  ABN 91 003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW      2001
Australia
Fax:     +61:(0)2-8221-9599