Re: el cheapo soundcard search

On 10-02-08 18:39, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-02-10 02:26:33 +0100, Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Suggesting 16-bit and 44.1 kHz is just completely out of date. Heck, _CD_ is
>> completely out of date.
>
> But OTOH, SACD and DVD-Audio didn't really make it to the market.

SACD somewhat, but not really no. But I recently bough a Neil Young Best Of
for example that came with a DVD with the entire album in 24-bit/96kHz LPCM
in addition to the regular CD. Also have a few audio releases with 16-bit 48
kHz LPCM, and quite a few with "the entire album mixed in 5.1 <exclamation
mark> <exclamation mark>" 16-bit 48 kHz AC3.

That not even mentioning Music DVDs (ie, a concert) ofcourse, which nearly
always are in 48 kHz, sometimes PCM, mostly AC3. And now Blu-Ray is coming
along where one can expect higher sampling rates since people are feeding
their hometheater sets that can do those rates from those players.

As to pure music; CD singles have already gone totally extinct starting this
year with that market completely shifting online and while regular CDs will
continue to be made for quite some time still -- when more of that market
moves online as well it'll (probably) start out as 16-bit 44100 but will not
remain so for long after people notice there's not a single point to 44100
there anymore. If I've been paying attention there's quite a few cheapo
soundcards out there today that don't even do 44100 natively?

So, sure, it's maybe not _totally_ vital or anything yet, but suggesting
16-bit/44110 is still all one might really need today is as far as I'm
concerned an obsolete standpoint. I'd definitely not advice anything other
than 24-bit/192 kHz myself and seeing as how (relatively, and as far as I'm
aware) cheapo CMI chips do those fine, I'd just not bother with anything
less than that.

Could you by the way be persuaded to not set Mail-Followup-To headers? It
makes people send themselves messages and turns CCs into To's.

Rene.