Digital audio output startup hiccup

I am using the S/PDIF coaxial digital audio output on my HP Pavilion
M8187C desktop PC. In Windows Vista, when the machine boots there is a
little "welcome" sound while the Windows icon waves in a a little
circle. I noticed that there is a little hiccup in the sound when it
starts. You can hear a quiet click, then a second or so of silence,
then the sound itself, already in progress. So, the start of the audio
gets cut off for a second or so. This would be unacceptable, except
that it only happens once when the operating system is booting. After
that, sounds play perfectly.

Here's the problem: In Linux, the same hiccup occurs every time a sound
is played. This makes it impossible to use, as every sound has the
beginning cut off. My guess is that Windows turns the audio interface
on once at startup, then leaves it on, while Linux is somehow turning
on the interface and shutting it off after every use. So I guess I'd
like to know if there's a workaround that will force the audio
interface to stay on permanently after the first sound.

The sound driver is snd-hda-intel, with option model=6stack-dig. I'm using Alsa drivers 1.0.16, on Ubuntu Hardy Alpha, kernel 2.6.24.

I think this might be the same problem reported by Adam Nielsen on Jan 6th, with the subject "Can you maintain digital output when no audio is playing?"