Soundcard only works every other login

Hi,

I have an Echo Mia soundcard, and I've managed to get it work, but only every other time I log in, which is a bit of a pain! The initialization of the card doesn't show up in /var/log/messages when it doesn't work, and when it does work, I do see the initialization. I also have a built-in intel sound card, which it reverts to when the Mia doesn't work.

I'm using Ubuntu Gutsy, fully patched.

If anyone would be able to help me, I'd be most grateful. Please let me know what extra information I can provide.

Thanks,
Ed.